Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 10:36:09 -0500
On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 16:52 +0200, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:35:05PM -0400, John F Sowa wrote:
> > > I have been told to my face by <redacted> there is nothing for legacy
> > > systems in "the stack."
> >
> > That's why mainstream IT ignores the SW.
> >
> > PT
> > > I guess that bit of intelligence hasn't reached those who are busy
> > > putting semantic facades on all sorts of old data: OpenLink URIBurner,
> > > apache any23, W3C RDB2RDF, etc.
> >
> > Tim B-L's proposal from 2000 went far beyond that.  RDB2RDF does not
> > support interoperability -- it is designed to copy RDBs into RDF
> > and run everything from a triple store.  Interoperable systems
> > must be able to interoperate dynamically.
>
> I recently wrote RDF2RDB for people who want to use RDF data but do not want
> to operate a triple store or learn SPARQL:
>
>  http://www.netestate.de/De/Loesungen/RDF2RDB    (01)

Now if we just had JSON2IMS for people who want to use HTML5 but don't
want to turn off their mainframes or expand their skill set, life would
be good!    (02)

But seriously, I'm all for interoperability, and tools like these are
especially important in times of technology transition. I myself don't
have any projects that call for this functionality, but it's an obvious
inverse function for RDB2RDF that surely is needed. Will this tool be
developed to be able to run R2RML mapping instructions in reverse? (I
haven't studied the spec enough to know if that is even possible in
general--surely it must be for a subset of cases.)    (03)

Regards,
--Paul    (04)