Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:19:42 -0800

Dear David,

You were absolutely correct when you wrote:

How ontologies could add value, I don't have a clue, since as far as I know it's a hard & fast ontological rule that requires a term to have a single definition/meaning... an extremely unrealistic constraint for this sort of ugly real world challenge.  [If I've got this wrong, please set me straight.]

I agree.  And as I said in an earlier post on this topic:

But the search for an abstract, anthromathomorphic ontology is, IMHO, a lost cause from the beginning.  All financial justification is from the application up, not from the philosophy down.

That is why Dublin Core succeeded.  It is small, very simple, well documented, and matched by large hunks of examples that describe document provenance within its limits.  In that sense, Dublin Core is a new legacy just as the software which interfaces with it might be a legacy database.

My point is that small kernels of English knowledge (a la Dublin Core) are similar in scope and complexity to the successful software components which were so helpfully used as components within those legacy systems when we built them in the first place.

Remember Delphi’s component palette?  Neat, documented little OOD chunks of code that could be learned in an hour, used in many ways throughout a program (think TForm, TList, TDatabase, …) so that we could leverage our development time to produce more functionality in the same schedule.

If the specific words, names, lexicon for those small hunks of code can be learned (which they often could), then the problem of a bottom up set of symbols was much easier to handle than the top down insistence on singular terms that so far haven’t even been well understood, well documented, or well thought through yet.

But that is about as far as I see ontology going in the next dozen years.

JMHO,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper