Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:57:42 -0000
Dear Hans,    (01)

> Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "this will already be
> tied up
> in system identifiers for free"?    (02)

MW: The data will be in existing systems using relational databases (almost
certainly) and will have identifiers already as a result.

>  I should also note that most companies have supply chain partners
> whose
> ability to support a given company in achieving its objectives would be
> improved by have access to key portions of that company's proprietary
> data.
> So while a company might not want to make that data publicly
> accessible, it
> may well want to make it accessible on the Internet to companies with
> which
> it has relationships. And of course, that set of companies is typically
> not
> static (compared to say, annual report periods or software
> development/change timeframes).    (03)

MW: I agree that supply chain is the area where companies benefit from
sharing some data, that is what I was referring to when I was talking about
making product catalogues available. I also agree that there can be a need
for partners to share information that is confidential within the
partnership but shared between companies. In fact ISO 15926 is a standard I
have worked on specifically to facilitate this, in the case of the
design/construction of e.g. offshore oil rigs where sharing information
between the eventual owner and contractor is desirable. You may find a
presentation I have given about IRING which is a way to implement these
ideas.    (04)

MW: However, this is still just a microcosm of any companies information.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)