Re: [ontolog-forum] finance lesson [WAS: What goes into a Lexicon?]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:39:30 -0600
David, John, Matthew:    (01)

[PT]
> I have only a dim understanding of finance,     (02)

[MW]
> Clearly.    (03)

[JS]
> I agree with Matthew.    (04)

[PT]
> but I do recall a finance professor emphasizing the point that sunk
> costs are immaterial to future spending decisions.    (05)

[DE]
> I remember the same idiotic "wisdom" from a finance professor or
> several.    (06)

I have been justly slapped for trying to put a learned spin on the
folksy warning not to throw good money after bad. I now comprehend that,
while this bit of homespun prudence might work fine down on the farm,
once you land in a CFO's or CIO's office you are obliged on higher
principles to send piles of good new money after bad past investments.
Still it seems strange to me, but it does explain spending decisions
that might appear irrational to an unenlightened observer.    (07)

I will rebrand and move the thread about app-specific OIDs vs. URIs over
to ontology-summit, as I believe that is where John's motivating
questions belonged.    (08)

Regards,
--Paul    (09)