Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:57:24 -0600
On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 09:34 -0500, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Any proposed technology that does not support smooth interoperability
> with mainstream IT will be ignored by mainstream IT.    (02)

Hi John,    (03)

That is true, but we needn't conclude that the semantics community must
supply simplified tools, concepts, or standards for the benefit of
mainstream IT. An IT department, like any other business unit, will take
the path of least resistance to meet the demands placed upon it. If
there are no demands to improve the semantic circuits of the enterprise,
there will be no uptake of semantic technology no matter how much like
bubblegum it tastes.    (04)

Assuming there is room and need for improvement in the semantic
circuitry of an enterprise, there is an organizational management
solution with guaranteed results: chief executives should simply demand
that their IT departments produce demonstrable cost-effective
improvements in the semantic circuits by which their businesses operate.
Grade them on it and hand out rewards and punishments accordingly. There
will be a miraculous spike in semantic technology uptake and nary a
complaint about interoperability (or bad taste).    (05)

That chief executives would never consider making such a demand, and
that they are not typically even aware of the damage their IT
departments have done to the semantic circuitry of their enterprise, are
defects of management practice that no amount of easy or hard technology
can resolve.    (06)

Regards,
--Paul    (07)