Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:53:58 -0800

Dear Amanda and David,

Amanda wrote:

What probably causes the confusion is that the nodes in an ontology are not "terms" in this sense; they are NOT bits of language, which may have many meanings, but rather these nodes are *concepts*, abstracted from the various ways they might be expressed, in any language or jargon or context or by anyone. It *is* a rule of ontology that each abstract *concept* must have one formal definition/meaning; that's what makes it a *specific abstract concept*, and what makes it computable as part of an ontology. But there may be any number of ways of expressing this concept in language, symbols, etc., and any particilar bit of language may be associated with any number of different concepts. In an ontology, what it looks like for "terms", in the used-language sense, to have multiple meanings is that those terms are associated with multiple abstract concepts, where each of those concepts has a single, formal definition/meaning.

It is an abstraction, IMHO, to call a concept by ANY linguistic term.  That is, the concept has such depth of meaning when you look at how it interlocks with other concepts in the lattice that the phrases people use to describe the concept are misleading and even wrong at times – most times it seems.

If concepts had some form of meaningless index, like a social security number, or other social construction that did not use English words, I could believe that the concept is different from the various terms used to describe it.  But that is not the practice used on this forum to date.  Concepts have always been described here by English terms, not by asemantic indexes.

Given an index value, it could be wikified to show various English terms describing the concept for reference purposes.  Then programmers could click on an index, get a pop up page of full description, and even search the set of indexes using Google like phrases to find a list of concept indexes which might be relevant.  If that were done, I could believe that the index designates a set of abstract, language free concepts.

But current practice is to refer to a concept with a word or phrase that captures only a tiny portion of the real semantics of that concept.  Therefore David’s point of subjectivity blinding the philosophy of a concept set is very appropriate to the ways in which concepts are actually used in software development.

When concepts are named with words or phrases, they are at least as ambiguous as the words or phrases.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper