Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 21:04:04 -0400
Pat and Gian Pierro,    (01)

PC> At the Ontology Summit this week we learned about an
 > ongoing effort to develop a "merged core ontology" including
 > contributions from SUMO, BFO, and DOLCE, under the ISO standards
 > procedures (JCT1/SC32).  There is a brief description of the
 > effort and timeline:
 >
 >  http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1801-1850/32N1807-US_contrib_SP_MCO.pdf    (02)

There is a follow-on report from the meeting in Vilamoura, Portugal,
in November:    (03)

    http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1801-1850/32N1813-WG2-Report-Vilamoura.pdf    (04)

Following is the relevant paragraph:    (05)

    "Frank Farance introduced and discussed a proposal from the US
    for a Study Period on the standardization of concept systems
    and semantic descriptions for the MCO. (WG2 N1187). The MCO
    combines three internationally developed ontologies (Basic
    Formal Ontology (BFO), Suggested Upper Merged Ontology (SUMO)
    and Descriptive Ontology for Linguistic and Cognitive Engineering
    (DOLCE)) to provide a baseline ontology for developing class of
    applications (domains). The study period would investigate whether
    and which features need standardization, and the timing and
    development of their standardization (single standard, multipart
    standard, etc.). The WG2 recommend that this be put forth for
    consideration as a Resolution."    (06)

SC32/WG2 is the same committee that developed the Metadata standards
and the ISO/IEC standard for Common Logic.  The US TAG is INCITS L8.
A 60 day letter ballot went out on whether to approve a study period.
The deadline for responses was 9 April 2009:    (07)

http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1801-1850/32N1833B-LB_Study_Period-WG2-MCO.doc    (08)

GPZ> Another SUO, then years later ...    (09)

Not quite.  The SUO project had been approved by the IEEE as a
standards project.  This is a letter ballot to approve a study
period to determine whether they should have a standards project.
They can apply all the experience gained from the SUO to this
study project.    (010)

GPZ> ... read the Section "The Search for a Standard Upper Ontology"
 > in my "Representation and Management of Narrative Information"
 > book (Springer, 2009), pp. 113-123.    (011)

Could you summarize that point?    (012)

John Sowa    (013)