Re: [ontolog-forum] Ockham

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:51:47 -0700
Dick:

I have been following this conversation from day one and really urge you to hear what Chris, Pat and John are saying.  These guys have devoted their lives to this work and have separated the aspects of “labels” and “conceptual work”.   IMO – you cannot pay all the money in the world for better advice.   Conceptual work is where ontology work should be done, the labeling is where most people mistakenly think they are doing it.  When you have 3 of the world’s leading experts (yes – that is just my opinion) on a topic stating that your approach could use re-considering, it is worth giving it a thought.

There is no malice in this group and there are a lot of people genuinely interested in helping mKR.  I think if you can take this in and consider the feedback as viable, it might help your efforts substantially.  I personally came to this group and have learned so much by being willing to be open to their perspectives.   Please give it a careful thought.

Duane

On 4/7/09 6:12 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dick,

I give up.

RHM> This makes mKR closer to Ockham's mental language.

Nothing you write on paper or enter into a computer is
"close" to a mental language.

If you want to learn something go study.  Pat and Chris
gave up on you long ago.

I am always willing to go an extra mile with a student
who is willing to think about the issues and do some
extra reading to fill gaps.  But I have no desire to
try to tutor anybody whose mind is a steel trap.

Goodbye.

John