Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: york earwaker <yorkearwaker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 01:46:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi Patric,

Always been a bit confused as to use of Orthogonal in different contexts. :-)

In this case I guessing you mean, from the context of your message below, that which can be found in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal#Taxonomy

"Taxonomy

In taxonomy, an orthogonal classification is one in which no item is a member of more than one group, that is, the classifications are mutually exclusive."

I like your reasoning here and that of John's in a previous response to this topic. The idea of contexts as distinct and/or overlapping (non-orthogonal) sets. In fact the set of all contextual sets would be all possible places in time and space. Further each set would relative (Einstein) to the perspective of the observer. Which implies sentience and consciousness as prerequisites to context. To be useful though a sub set of all possible contextual sets would be useful. Starting from the perspective of Humans in the 21st Century on Earth. Then subdivided into useful perspectives, in Europe, Western Europe, England, London, City of London, Deutsche Bank, Credits and Derivatives, ... to which corresponding ontologies can then be built/derived/mapped.

All the best,
York.