Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:14:54 +0100
Sure would be interesting, but we need to make a distinction between:
- a discussion over whether the word has merit in ontological
engineering or not: many words could get pulled into such a debate, and
this could open up a hornet's nest, ending with a discussion about what
"is" is ;-)
- or a discussion on different ideas about what context means (in
different contexts, of course) and its value in ontology work - I think
there is a lot of perspectives and mileage in this, and could even prove
to be an interesting theme itself for the next Summit.    (01)

I think that we should avoid the former: whilst being no great fan of
his, Popper commented that it is better to explain different
understandings of terms, rather than trying to convince others that our
definitions are "correct".    (02)

Regards to all on the list for the New Year!    (03)

Peter    (04)

Peter F Brown
Pensive
www.pensive.eu    (05)