Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:27:19 -0500
(disputing myself)

on Thur. Jan. 17, 2008, at 11:38, John Black wrote:

JB>In other words, my intuition says that in this case: (ist today (and A (not A))), today is not a valid context for that tautology because there is no other context, which if it took the place of "today", would change the value of that tautology.

I just realized that if A = "(President JimmyCarter)" and the time interval was 'time-interval:1950-2000' then A would in fact be both true and false within that interval - just at different times points or intervals within that interval. In other words:

    (ist time-interval:1950-2000 (and (President JimmyCarter) (not (President JimmyCarter)))).

So today is is a "valid context" (if there is such a thing) since there are other intervals that make that proposition true.

I'm going back to more reading and thinking.....

John