Re: [ontolog-forum] ebxml

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:16:02 -0700
EbXML did work for Supply chain inventory management BPM (Business
Process Model) where automotive industry specific xml documents were
created under OAGIS a standards organization specializing in Business
Documents and AIAG - Autmotive industry Action Group consisting of buig
OEMs and Suppliers carried out interoperable vendor inventory among
multiple OEM requirements. Timeframe was 2003-2004 and demoed at
AutoTech Detroit.    (01)

As you mention CPA and CPP did work, so did BPSS and the whole process
including repository and runtime binding and execution were perfect and
auditable.    (02)

The same process was run under Web-services and these were lacking the
richness then available in ebXML. However then we got Microsoft, Oracle,
IBM, Sun and other Vendors including Adobe together and the birth of WSI
resulted in a more robust standards stack under Web Services namely
(SOAP, UDDI and WSDL). Today these will probably execute better as the
industry got behind the WSI and left ebXML unattended. Even today
auditability is not assured even though Choreography and Orchestration
services standards have matured. BPEL provides very much hope.    (03)

Finally to stay focused on end objectives concretely we have to address
the questions asked by Mark and Saul.    (04)

If we can define sequence of mental processes akin to business processes
or workflow as we commonly call these, then ebXML or SOA and
web-services or BPEL can address some aspects of the process sequence,
concepts and context branching and we can benefit by including the 520K
initial agreed international inventory and start making some initial
attempts at Decision Rules. As mentioned earlier, these come in baby
steps. Neither ebXML nor webservices alone are sufficient and the best
available are BPEL and UML2+ today.
Then there is the question of Inter expert-CoPs interactions?
Thanks.
Ravi    (05)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (06)

Vangent, Inc. Technical Excellence Center (TEC)    (07)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 3132041740 www.vangent.com    (08)