Re: [ontolog-forum] ebxml

To: "[ontolog-forum] edbark@xxxxxxxx," <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:27:45 -0800
More inline:    (01)

On 1/14/08 1:24 PM, "Ed Barkmeyer" <edbark@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (02)

> Right now, I am fighting this same battle on another front.  We really
> need to get a whole technical generation out of the habit of thinking
> that "business process" is a synonym for workflow, or EAI script, or
> messaging protocol.    (03)

DN: This is a big battle but I think the common definition is seeing it as
not a synonym.    (04)

>  A real business process is a graph of expected
> events and actions leading to a business goal, occasionally revised by
> occurrences of unexpected events and actions.  And the secret to
> understanding where you are in a real business process is having a
> vocabulary that expresses the state of your world -- the known, the
> presumed, and the unknown.  (And by "unknown", I mean classes of things
> you know about, but don't know the relevant instances, or instances you
> know about, but don't know the relevant state.)  The process graph can
> be modified ad hoc to get from the state you are in to the state you
> want, and in business, that happens often.
>
> And the reason why this is important in the Ontolog Forum is that the
> vocabularies -- the "ontologies" -- are critical to being able to
> discuss that state with a partner organization who has a somewhat
> different view.
DN: no disagreement from me here.

> At least the current Core Components activity is directed toward solving
> one of the critical problems -- the common vocabulary.  And the approach
> is interesting -- the "standard lower ontology" from which higher
> concepts are built.  That said, I think much more of that effort is also
> being spent on technical details than semantics.  "You can take the boy
> out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."    (05)

DN: This group did a critical analysis and provided feedback to the CCTS
group.  It was unfortunately sidelined and the comments and recommendations
have not been addressed in the current version.    (06)

The work is here FYI:    (07)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/CCT-Representation/    (08)

Duane    (09)

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html