Re: [ontolog-forum] ebxml

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:17:59 +0100
Ed,
> And the reason why this is important in the Ontolog Forum is that the
> vocabularies -- the "ontologies" -- are critical to being able to
> discuss that state with a partner organization who has a somewhat
> different view.

This is certainly an important area. I personally like to add the work
OMG doing to the a list of important efforts.
Im sitting just now and is incorporating OMG Semantics of Business
Vocabularies and Business Rules in a national handbook. This with links
to WS-Policy and XACML, works rather nice.    (01)

> At least the current Core Components activity is directed toward solving
> one of the critical problems -- the common vocabulary.  And the approach
> is interesting -- the "standard lower ontology" from which higher
> concepts are built.  That said, I think much more of that effort is also
> being spent on technical details than semantics.  "You can take the boy
> out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."

In my opinion Its a fair assessment that the CCTS work is tilted toward
technologies consideration and not sufficiently business. The latest
proposals I have seen regarding business level datatyping is rather
mixing functional requirements with technical XML solutions. Im not sure
why a business user should be required to specify a "hexadecimal" amount..    (02)

regards
/anders    (03)