Re: [ontolog-forum] (OT) German

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:45:05 -0700
John    (01)

Great links. Great understanding of languages. Many new things for me.
It is amazing that I could read some words with meaning in PIE.
The satem mentioned is Shatam in Sanskrit meaning hundred, Deiw.. is Devam or
force of nature such as fire, water, etc and Varuna is the water force or water
Diety in Sanskrit also pronounced as Samskrit.
I will study further for understanding and knowledge.....    (02)

The point of all this in relation to our work is that for cross cultural
communications if we can translate into English we are a bit better off but I
have personally not been able to translate simple Sanskrit for English language
audiences. For example the mis-translation of Yagna or yajna is Sacrifice but
more meaningful is Transformation, Agni is fire but in several contexts it
takes many pre and post fixes. Etc. CoPs have to be aware of these shortcomings
and avoid trasliterations where the original concept itself is destroyed by
translation.    (03)

Machine interpretation being one of the ultimate goals of ontology CoP, we can
attempt to remove ambiguities in name and concept spaces. If I were to describe
Mental processes, I would need to understand the relationship among
consciousness (Sanskrit human Manas), English mind, brain, English thought,
wandering nature of thought, the serene, peaceful or pleasure (Take your
pick)seeking nature of mind, discerning or discriminatory power of mind called
(Sanskrit) Buddhi, just to start the communicable vocabulary among different
language speaking people. Decision support is like using the discriminatory
power of mind, given all statistical analyses, to converge on likelihoods based
on experience beyond data, to arrive at conclusions about human mental state as
was the topic yesterday. Trauma and neuro aspects further complicate the normal
(which is itself difficult) mental Health constructs?    (04)

With so much wisdom in out team, can we answer Marc and Saul's basic questions?
What is a convergent approach that would make sense and provide them the It and
other tools to study traumatic stress for the war torn minds. Perhaps a custom
solution is to be developed for them like COTS as not following all standards
but good efficient solution as in ERP systems. But it will also be an expert
system with AI neural and other attributes and able to fit the requirements of
most prevalent of mental abnormalities from stressful war situations.    (05)

One more thought as an opinion is that VA and DoD Medical budgets ought to
include these types of treatment and development costs as part of total costs
of ownerships of our missions such as wars, as family budgets have to account
for child support due to traumatic experiences in families! Are we doing enough
to support technologies and CoPs that are helpful or do we even know the
resource estimates?    (06)

Thanks.    (07)

Ravi    (08)

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect    (09)

Vangent, Inc. Technical Excellence Center (TEC)    (010)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 3132041740 www.vangent.com    (011)