Re: [ontolog-forum] (OT) German

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:26:52 +0100
"Hungarian is full of those illogical compound words that were literally
translated from German.."
I don't know why there are considered illogical (and anyway Hungarian is
amongst the most logical European languages that I know), they just may not
parse very easily... I think they are wonderful reminders of common heritage
and fun to trace. The common plant 'Dandelion'= is "Lowenzahn" in German, which
in turn literally translated into French would be 'Dent de lion' and yet the
French term is Pissenlit, or 'Piss in bed', something you'll end up doing on
too much expos are to it, as it's a powerful diuretic.
    (01)

Another curious construction, where German does not play a part, is the name
given to the unfortunate Christmas or thanksgiving fowl. In many countries in
indicates a country (of origin? Hardly likely... ): 'turkey', 'Dinde' in
French, 'Peru' in Portuguese... As the bird was introduced to Europe by the
Spanish, via the conquered Aztecs, one would expect a similar root in Spanish,
but no interestingly....
Peter