Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:55:08 -0500
on Tue. Dec. 25, 2007 at 2:23 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> >on Mon Dec 24, 2007 at 4:18 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>
>>>  >Please forgive me, in advance, for my spotty knowledge of some of the
>>>  >topics

>>>I think you may be reading more into this than was intended. It does not
>>>say that every occurrence of an IKL name has the same unique referent in
>>>the actual world. It says that every such name occurrence maps to
>>>referents in all interpretations in the same way. But there may be many
>>>possible interpretations: there almost always are.
>>
>>I'm confused. I understand that there may be many interpretations. Lets
>>consider the case of two network nodes. If the referent of a name 'A' is X
>>in one interpretation and is Y in another interpretation, then in what
>>sense are these name occurrences mapped "...in the same way."? From what
>>you say later, I suppose you mean that all the same statements are true of
>>both X and Y.
>
> Yes, quite correct. What that puzzling phrase means is only that the WAY
> that the interpretation mappings are applied is uniform across all
> occurrences of names. To see what this means, consider some cases where
> this would fail to be true.
>
> 1. If the logic has modalities such a a future tense operator F, then the
> meaning of a name (in fact, any referring term) may be different inside
> the scope of the modality from its meaning outside. Suppose for example we
> introduce a name [note A] PresidentOfUSA, so that (= PresidentOfUSA
> GeorgeWBush) is true now; but it is certainly not true now that (F 2010 (=
> PresidentOfUSA GeorgeWBush)), because the referent of "PresidentOf USA"
> will be different in 2010.
>
> 2. If the logic has contexts which affect the denotation of names, then
> the same name may be interpreted differently in different contexts. (Not
> all context logics allow names to denote differently in this way, but some
> do.)    (01)

And this is clearly a part of IKL. Is the modality and context logic mapping
functionality in IKL due to something in CL? Or is this part of the IKL
dialect? A related question: Is IKL considered to be an ISO standard by
virtue of its being conformant to the CL dialect forming feature in CL? Or
will it need to go through a standardization process also?    (02)

> 3. If the logic is used to encode temporally sensitive data, then what a
> name denotes can change with actual time, so that archived information may
> contain names which now no longer denote what their 'current' values are.    (03)

I had thought that time was yet another type of context. Is it different
somehow?    (04)

> 4. If the same name is used in several ontologies widely separated or
> built independently using a conventional FOL syntax or OWL-DL, then one of
> them might use it to name an individual, while another might use it to
> name a relation (in FOL) or a class (in OWL-DL), producing a syntactically
> illegal situation when these ontologies are merged, since these logics
> require names to be strictly segregated according to what they are allowed
> to denote. (This situation, and finding a uniform way to avoid it, was one
> of the leading motivations for the CL design, in fact.)    (05)

Do you mean that CL has features which allows these illegal situations to be
dealt with post-hoc or is this something that must be done up front using CL
cooperatively? It looks to me like what is done is that CL allows for both
ontologies to be translated to CL and then merged legally. This would still
leave work to be done to make the two groups of sentences work together,
wouldn't it?    (06)

>>>Right. Note, *logical* meaning. One might reasonably say that the meaning
>>>of "Patrick J Hayes" is me, in this particular world, but that is not its
>>>logical meaning. Its logical meaning is a mapping from interpretations
>>>(aka possible worlds) to an individual in that interpretation's universe.
>>
>>I have never gotten comfortable with the idea of sorts or types of meaning
>>(formal, social, natural, logical, etc. etc.). Never-the-less, I take you
>>mean that the requirement is that the same set of statements will be true
>>of all referents of the name in all interpretations
>
> Yes. And of every *occurrence* of the name, is the point. CL and IKL treat
> every *occurrence* of a name in the same way, wherever it occurs. Many
> logics do not. In fact, most logics do not.    (07)

So we would say, "...the same set of statements will be true of all
referents of each occurrence of the name in all interpretations."? Then you
are saying that most logics treat the separate occurrences of a name as
though there were only one occurrence? Reminds me of a question I keep
having with regard to URIs in the Web Architecture. There doesn't seem to be
any attempt to distinguish between each occurrence (I sometimes call it an
utterance) of a URI and its establishment. And in fact, it seems to be
argued often that this is by design and intentional, yet nowhere is are
there methods for dealing with what seems to be inevitable contextual
differences between each occurrence of a URI. In other words, it sounds like
IKL aims for the same goal  but includes some machinery for achieving it,
while the Web Architecture claims that it is so by engineering design. Fair
characterization?    (08)

>>, not that the name will necessarily have the same referent in all
>>interpretations.
>
> Not that, no. In fact that isn't even meaningful, since the universes of
> two interpretations may be disjoint.    (09)

But then what do other logics claim? How do they put it? You said before
that most logics do not treat each occurrence of a name differently.    (010)