Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:03:09 +0200
John,    (01)

Many thanks for your impressively comprehensive review (below).  We are
indeed privileged to have such learned treatises/treats from you on such
a regular basis.    (02)

But while I must confess that I have not exhaustively studied any - let
alone all! - of the works you cite, may I ask if with your background
you can contradict a rather blanket hypothesis from me?  It is this:    (03)

They are all - literally all of them - suffering from the very nature of
the problem they are trying to address, which is how to talk about any
posited 'ultimate reality' at all without the result inevitably being
contaminated and in the end corrupted by the dissonances induced by our
merely human conceptual processes.  Even to talk of an "object" in a
Peirce or other such triangle, or an individual in a representation, or
even a significatio (signification) or Bedeuting (reference), is to beg
the original question.  The cat is already out of the bag.  The horse
has bolted so it's no good closing the door.    (04)

The basic problem is that there is an inevitable nonsense in trying to
conceive the raw material (as it were) of the conceptualization process
itself.    (05)

So what can we possibly do to escape the conundrum?  Well, the answer
hides in my previous paragraph's "(as it were)":  we can do nothing more
than try to use images which more or less adequately - depending on the
context, of course - address the relevant aspect of the problem in
whatever situation we find ourselves.    (06)

Even the use of the word "reality" in phrases auch as "unconceptualized
reality" is already a nonsense but does implicitly express the hope that
the familiar and meaningful real/illusive dichotomy shares something
with the basic problem of Ontology.  And even "Ontology" itself is a
figurative use of an ancient word that has more directly given us
"ontogeny".    (07)

Hence (of course...) the image that I believe has helped me since 1966,
as mentioned and linked to in my previous post.  If there is any
interest from this list, I could probably set it out more succinctly and
more appropriately to this list's needs (as I perceive/conceive
them...), and try to show what kinds of uses my particular Ontological
image and terminology can serve.  (In my case, the general area of
application is information system architecture for system
interoperability and human collaboration.)    (08)

But first, John, does my blanket hypothesis stand up to your so informed
critical eye?  (I rather suspect your answer might be that yes, it does,
more or less, but that all my words are merely yet another verbal
hotch-potch from the by now rather clichéed background to all your
eminent authors' endeavours?)    (09)

Christopher    (010)