Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:58:55 -0800
Guys:    (01)

You may want to read Roy Fieldings thesis....    (02)

REST?    (03)

D    (04)

On 12/28/07 6:50 PM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)

> [...]
>> disputing! more like self-destructing than begging....  On the other
>> hand, I thought by hedging with "useful" I avoided such cases of
>> extreme variability as would render it meaningless - oh well.
>
> The problem is that machines have no grasp of nuances like "useful",
> and this discussion is about conventions for machines to use, not
> people.
>

>> But seriously, I feel like I must be missing something again about
>> names and contexts. Here is the problem. My name is "John", a good
>> proper name, which in the presence of my immediate family, nails me
>> precisely, and very efficiently. In another family, occurrences of
>> the same name, "John", refer equally well to other referents, with
>> equal precision and efficiency. This use of the term "context"
>> appears to me very trivial and ubiquitous.
>
> Ubiquitous, but not at all trivial.
>
>>  Isn't this type of context the same as a "namespace" that occurs
>> frequently in programming languages?
>
> Not really.
>
>> It permits names to change their referents, if not on *every*
>> occurrence, at least on every change of context (or namespace). Or
>> am I missing something?
>
> The key point is, what would count as a 'context' for a
> context-dependent URI? Consider this scenario. You, sitting at your
> computer, use a URi to browse an interesting website, and you send me
> an email telling me about it and citing the URI. I then, sitting at
> my computer, two days later on the other side of the planet, type
> that URI into my browser. We expect that we will see the same
> website: but what do our two contexts have in common? It might be
> almost nothing: the times, places, browsers, countries, users, OSs,
> maybe even cultural and linguistic settings, can be completely
> different. It is inherent to the Web that the contexts of publication
> and of use of a URI can be arbitrarily different and far apart on
> every dimension, yet the URI is supposed to retain its meaning.

>>> Here you touch on a delicate point. IMO, there is indeed an
>>> important conceptual distinction to be made between the
>>> relationships of naming or reference, on the one hand, and
>>> 'accessing' or 'identifying' on the other, and many of the W3C
>>> discussions fail to make this distinction and so are hopelessly
>>> muddled. The http-range-14 decision can be summarized as: when a
>>> Web object returns a 200 response code, the URI which accessed it
>>> (ie the GETing of which resulted in the code being returned) must
>>> also be understood as denoting it. This is highly intuitive, so
>>> much so that many folk take it as so obvious as to not need saying,
>>> but it does need to be said, as it is by no means necessary.
>>
>> And again, doesn't it need to be pounded into RDF and OWL somehow?
>
> Thats exactly what the http-range-14 decision is trying to do.
>
> Pat
>

>>> Pat

>>> --
>>> IHMC (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
>>> 40 South Alcaniz St. (850)202 4416   office
>>> Pensacola (850)202 4440   fax
>>> FL 32502 (850)291 0667    cell
>>> phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes
>     (06)

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html