Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:34:50 -0500
JohnS    (01)

Thanks for this and the brief discussion of Tarski's conception of semantics
and the reference to his paper. I'm reading it now. This present list should
help prevent me from wasting more time regretting that those other branches
of the study of semantics are not included in model theoretical semantics.
Also should help prevent me from trying to re-invent extensions to MT which
others have spent careers investigating.    (02)

I'm wondering if you would agree that one of the advantages of Tarski's
model theory, despite its limitations, is that it permits relative ease of
computational implementations for a large subset of interesting and
important problems.    (03)

On a more specific note, I was wondering if you had ever heard of
'Interactivism' promoted by Mark H. Bickhard. If you have, where you place
his work in the 3 branches you list here? If you haven't, here is an HTML
copy of the abstract and reference to a PDF paper he wrote in 1993 titled,
"An Approach to the Problem of Representation".
http://kashori.com/weblog/matters/2007/12/approach-to-problem-of-representation.html.
I find his approach to representation intuitively very satisfying. He
rejects what he refers to as the errors of 'encodingism' as the embodiment
of mental representations. Instead he presents a view of representation as a
continuous process of interaction with the world.    (04)

John Black    (05)

on Tue. Dec. 25, 2007 at 3:41 PM, John Sowa wrote:    (06)