Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:41:45 -0800

>>  No. IKL is what you get when you take CL and add the ability to
>>  denote *propositions*. It turns out that this enables you to have the
>>  expressivity (in fact, in many case rather more) that modal and
>>  context logics provide, without sacrificing the 'name transparency'
>>  property of CL itself, that every occurrence of a name is treated the
>>  same as every other occurrence.  But IKL is not a context logic, and
>>  contexts do not affect the denotations of names in IKL.
>
>I'm curious why you're not bringing up ICL in this (ahem) context?    (01)

I was reacting to the previous message, which
didn't mention ICL. But I didnt bring it up
because ICL is strictly less expressive than IKL:
for example, one cannot express 2+2=4 in ICL. In
general, highly contextual logics like ICL strike
me as a representational dead-end, and something
best avoided. They are grossly unsuitable for
ontology work or any kind of archived knowledge
representation. They might, possibly, be useful
for McCarthy's original motivating application of
modelling stream-of-consciousnesss thinking, but
I even doubt that.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>>  Pat
>

>Randall Schulz

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)