Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:38:41 -0500

on Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

JS>I agree with the points that Chris and Pat made about contexts,
> but I'd like to add a few comments.
>
> JB>> I had thought that time was yet another type of context. Is it
> >> different somehow?
>
> PH> You CAN treat time as a context, if you like contexts. But that is
> > not the only way to tackle a logic of time: the modal temporal logics
> > pre-date context logics by about 60 years.
>
> I agree.  A context approach to time can be reduced to a noncontextual
> approach by adding an extra argument for time to every relation.
> For example, consider the sentence
>
>    At time t, the cat Yojo was on a mat.
>
> In a context approach, you could translate that to a conceptual graph
> of the following form:
>
>    [Time: *t]<-(PTim)<-[Situation: [Cat: Yojo]->(On)->[Mat] ]    (02)

And this is one of the main attractions for me about Conceptual Graphs. The
enclosing 'Situation:' concept looks a lot like a context to me. But CL and
thus CGIF are not "context logics". What does it take to make a logic a
context logic if not just that you can express such contexts? Also, the
above CG is not written in CGIF, is it? In particular, the "<-" syntax for
arcs is not a part of CGIF, as far as I can tell.    (03)

The other big attraction of CGs to me is the attractive possibility that the
graphical display of CGs may facilitate the solution of certain types of
reasoning problems. I am particularly interested (for no particular
practical reason, just am) in the possibility of reasoning about the kind of
knowledge problems described in "Reasoning About Knowledge" by Fagin, et al.
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=8240    (04)

[Person:*j]<-(KnownBy)<-[Knows:[[Person:*h]<-(KnownBy)<-[Knows:[[Person:*j]<-(KnownBy)<-[Knows:[Cat:Yojo]->(Named)->["Yojo"]]]]]]    (05)

If I did this right, it means: a person *j knows that a person *h knows that
he, *j, knows that Yojo the cat is named "Yojo". Textually, it gets very
complicated to look at. Would it be simpler for a human if this was visible
graphically? And does it make any difference to a machine? Do you think
there is any parallel in automated processors of the advantages to humans of
graphical reasoning?    (06)

John Black
www.kashori.com    (07)