Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:56:56 -0500
See below.    (01)

On Dec 24, 2007, at 16:18 , Pat Hayes wrote:    (02)

>> The topic I am particularly interested in discussing here now, is
>> this claim
>> and a similar statement in the CL requirements section 5.1.4.b.,
>> "Any piece
>> of Common Logic text should have the same meaning, and support the
>> same
>> entailments everywhere on the network. Every name should have the
>> same
>> logical meaning at every node of the network."
>
> Right. Note, *logical* meaning. One might
> reasonably say that the meaning of "Patrick J
> Hayes" is me, in this particular world, but that
> is not its logical meaning. Its logical meaning
> is a mapping from interpretations (aka possible
> worlds) to an individual in that interpretation's
> universe.    (03)

Pat, just to clarify.  Those universes *may* include you, right?
Just wanted to make sure nobody went away thinking that somehow CL
universes are necessarily some kind of thing divorced from the
everyday world.    (04)

        .bill    (05)

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)