Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:57:06 -0800
>Topologies ARE what I believe can be recorded and compared    (01)

No, really, they cannot. Even the brain itself is
not aware of its own topology. It could not
possibly be: that would need at least a much
bigger brain. Even if one were given a complete
(dead) mammalian brain, there is no conceivable
way to reconstruct all the neural connections in
it, since the total cross-section of a neuron's
end branchings greatly exceeds that of its axon,
and these neurons are tightly packed in the
cortex. Any way to 'take it apart' to find all
the neurons, therefore, would of necessity
involve breaking the connections which hold them
together. Put another way: its impossible to
assemble (or disassemble) a brain; it has to be
grown.    (02)

For more on this and many other fascinating
neural topics, see books by Valentino Braitenberg.    (03)

Pat    (04)

>but even just glancing at the Wikipedia page for
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_potentiation>long-term
>potentiation shows this is a term I have been
>looking for so thanks again.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Deborah
>
>On Dec 17, 2007 11:57 AM, Randall R Schulz
><<mailto:rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>On Monday 17 December 2007 08:27, Deborah MacPherson wrote:
>>  Thank you for the clarification. I'll look into long-term
>>  potentiation more then. This might be the term for what I am
>>  interested in capturing.
>
>Keep in mind that LTP is only one aspect of long-term information
>storage in neuron networks. The topology of connections matters, too,
>obviously. There's probably other stuff I'm unaware of or am not
>thinking of right now.
>

>>  Deborah
>

>RRS

>To Post:
>mailto:<mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)