Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "'Chris Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:58:43 -0500
Hmmm - terminology again.    (01)

To clarify: as I use it, an existential "qualifier" is a rule included in a
knowledge base that asserts that for each instance of a particular Type of
entity, there must also exist another entity of some specific type. This is
a "qualifier" because it qualifies the knowledge about an entity (asserts a
quality to the entity, involving the existence of another entity).  Thus to
assert that every person has a birth mother, we might see:
   (forall (?PERSON)
      (implies (instance ?PERSON Person)
               (thereExists (?MOTHER)
                  (and
                     (instance ?MOTHER FemalePerson)
                     (thereExists (?EVENT)
                         (and
                            (instance ?EVENT BirthEvent)
                            (wasTheMotherInEvent ?MOTHER ?EVENT)
                            (wasTheBabyInEvent ?PERSON ?EVENT)))))))
 . . . among a lot of other things one might want to say.    (02)

  Wheras, I think of an existential "quantifier" as the symbol "thereExists"
or whatever symbol one wants to use that means the same thing.  What one
does with a logical symbol is to use it according to the rules of whatever
logic one wants to use.  What one does with an existential "qualifier" (a
logical statement of which the above is an example) -- that depends on one's
purposes and how fast one's computer can work through all the calculations.    (03)

  The original email uses the term "quantifier" but the query seemed to me
to be focused on the issue of its use in statements that I call "existential
qualifiers" as described above.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.