Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 00:50:10 -0500
John,
  Yes, it will be useful to agree on some term to refer to logical
assertions implying existence of one entity dependent on existence of
another.  I usually hear those assertions referred to as simply
"existentials" or "existential assertions" (or, in a database context, as
"integrity constraints").  If  there is no objection, we can use "functional
dependency", but it would be nice to have a term that includes the word
"existential" to emphasize the central importance of that logical symbol in
the assertion.      (01)

  This may be one point of terminology work spilling some ink (or electrons)
over.
  "existential functional dependency"???    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416