Re: [ontolog-forum] Free viewer for PowerPoint 2007

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:59:23 -0400
Duane and Peter,    (01)

I should have been more precise in making the point.    (02)

I realize that MSFT has participated in OASIS, but
they did not adopt the open standard or participate
in getting whatever features they needed into it.    (03)

There is nothing wrong with a company producing their
own version for compatibility with their own legacy
systems.  But they did not support the OASIS standard
on an equal footing.    (04)

Furthermore, MSFT tried to get their proprietary version
made into a standard -- despite the fact that it is bloated
with garbage designed to support arcane internals of MS
Office.    (05)

When it became clear that nobody else had any interest
in supporting the MS version, they "persuaded" [a polite
euphemism] a large number of countries to become voting
members of OASIS in order to stuff the ballot box in
favor of the MS version.  Despite that effort, the MS
version was rejected as an OASIS standards project.    (06)

And now, OASIS is suffering from a bloated roster of
voting members who have stopped participating.  As a
result, they can't get a quorum for doing other business
in the overstuffed committees.    (07)