Re: [ontolog-forum] Free viewer for PowerPoint 2007

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:35:42 -0400
Peter,    (01)

Peter F Brown wrote:
> John:
>
> I respectfully suggest that you *really* check your facts.

Sorry, I simply could not resist responding to your "check your facts"
admonition to John.    (02)

The claim that OOXML is "big" is justifiable but only to a degree.    (03)

The WordProcessingML part (of Part 4) runs some 1874 pages but when line
spacing is taken from 1.5 to 1.0, duplicate attribute definitions are
removed and the formatting of references to other sections is changed
from space eating tables to simple paragraphs, it can be reduced to 452
pages. So, a lot of the "bigness" of OOXML is simply padding that makes
it difficult to read. Properly written, preserving all the normative
text in WordProcessingML, it should run about 300 to 350 pages.    (04)

The question of whether anyone other than MS can implement it actually
revolves around whether the proposal sufficiently defines all the
information necessary to process documents in that format. That
question, however, requires actually reading the proposal in order to
formulate an opinion.    (05)

Hope you are having a great day!    (06)

Patrick    (07)

PS: I know that WordProcessingML can be reduced in the manner I describe
because I have actually produced such a version for my own internal use.
I am in the Netherlands at the moment but can post it (off list) to
anyone who is interested after I return to the States this next Thursday.    (08)

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx