Re: [ontolog-forum] Free viewer for PowerPoint 2007

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:53:33 -0700
John:    (01)

Can't argue with any of that (below).   I actually participate in the ODF as
Adobe's rep.  It has been eye opening.    (02)

Within Adobe, I was also one of the proponents to get PDF into ISO.  Open
standards are the way we all need to go.    (03)

I had heard that MS did support some open source project to convert ODF into
OOXML but don't think this will be their forte.  I personally see OOXML
being run at by many companies now - Buzzword, OO and SO, iWork (for Mac)
and more.    (04)

Duane    (05)

On 10/21/07 12:59 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (06)

> Duane and Peter,
>
> I should have been more precise in making the point.
>
> I realize that MSFT has participated in OASIS, but
> they did not adopt the open standard or participate
> in getting whatever features they needed into it.
>
> There is nothing wrong with a company producing their
> own version for compatibility with their own legacy
> systems.  But they did not support the OASIS standard
> on an equal footing.
>
> Furthermore, MSFT tried to get their proprietary version
> made into a standard -- despite the fact that it is bloated
> with garbage designed to support arcane internals of MS
> Office.
>
> When it became clear that nobody else had any interest
> in supporting the MS version, they "persuaded" [a polite
> euphemism] a large number of countries to become voting
> members of OASIS in order to stuff the ballot box in
> favor of the MS version.  Despite that effort, the MS
> version was rejected as an OASIS standards project.
>
> And now, OASIS is suffering from a bloated roster of
> voting members who have stopped participating.  As a
> result, they can't get a quorum for doing other business
> in the overstuffed committees.
>
> John

>      (07)

"Speaking only for myself"