Re: [ontolog-forum] Free viewer for PowerPoint 2007

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:55:57 -0400
John F. Sowa wrote:
> I just tested the MSFT link for downloading the viewer for PPT 2007,
> but the MS web site wouldn't send it to me.  I never had that problem
> with earlier versions of their viewers, but they seem to be making
> things tough on people who use Firefox for downloads.    (01)

Always has been.  Only go to the MS site with IE.
And of late, they are exhibiting the "customer is the enemy" syndrome.
The site doesn't want to do downloads until it has verified that all
your would-be MS software is licensed, not pirated.  (But one can hardly
blame them for that; piracy is a big business in the world's newest
large software market.)    (02)

It does no good to rail against software monopolies.  Industry and
government encourage that, in their quest for de facto standards and
their tolerance for irresponsibility.  We willing sign contracts for
software products in which we formally agree not to hold the contractor
responsible for failures and shoddy workmanship.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

P.S. And then there is the tale of WindowsCE, but as Scheherezade said,
that is a story for another night.    (05)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (06)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (07)