[ontolog-forum] Free viewer for PowerPoint 2007

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:47:32 -0400
 > The slides work fine, but only if you use PowerPoint 2007.
 >
 > I suspect they were created in Office 2007.    (01)

In order to propagate their monopoly, Microsoft kindly provides
free viewers for all their Office products.  Following is the
2007 version of the PowerPoint viewer:    (02)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=048DC840-14E1-467D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en&hurl=536FDB142340FF5644AD7A4A6C275C12&QueryID=reICSjOC30&respos=1&rt=3&pid=CD102070641033
Download details: PowerPoint Viewer 2007    (03)

I worked for a major monopolist (IBM) during the years when they
were at their monopolistic worst.  I tried to open things up from
the inside, but failed.  But in the end, IBM caused multibillions
of dollars of damage to the entire industry by their tactics --
and they damaged themselves more than anybody else.  IBM finally
got religion after a near-death experience before Lou Gerstner
saved them.    (04)

I urge everyone -- even Microsofties -- to support open standards.
MSFT was invited to join OASIS, but they refused.  Until they do,
I believe it is not only bad policy, but *morally* wrong to support
their monopoly.    (05)

I strongly recommend that people use OpenOffice for generating *all*
office requirements:    (06)

  1. OpenOffice (and Sun Office) support the OASIS standards --
     but MSFT does not.    (07)

  2. OOO provides all the functionality normal people ever use.    (08)

  3. OOO can export to all major formats:    (09)

     - MSFT formats:  .doc, .xls, .ppt.    (010)

     - PDF formats (the PDF output for slides can be viewed full
       screen on any computer and they are much more compact
       than .ppt slides).    (011)

     - LaTeX formats -- which are very useful for submissions
       to many journals.    (012)

  4. I have never had any problems importing and collaborating
     with people who pay $$$$ through their noses for MS Office.    (013)

  5. And the freebie viewers ensure that even the most arcane
     MSFT files can be viewed (much more rapidly than with
     the bloated MS office).    (014)

John Sowa    (015)