Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:05:55 -0700

> We have had many heated discussions in this forum about whether
> sentences in a biology textbook are about cells in the world or about
> cells in a biological model of cells.  Jon suggested maybe they are
> about both. That they can be about both is why engineering works!
> It's why you can get up in the morning expecting your car to start,
> the traffic lights to work, and the bridge not to collapse.    (01)

And no sooner is it said than in a single day, there are two bridge
collapses in the United States, one in California and another in
Minnesota.    (02)

It will be interesting to see to what cause these incidents are
attributed. Often the problem traces to inadequate or imprecise
modeling of the physical forces and material properties of the failed
structures.    (03)

Randall Schulz    (04)