[ontolog-forum] Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, and more ...

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andreas Tolk <atolk@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:14:23 -0400
This is a great discussion and right into the heart of a problem we
currently fight with while defining a management language to be used to
share information within and about a system. To cope with this, we used the
Levels of Conceptual Interoperability Model
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levels_of_conceptual_interoperability), which
tries to add to this discussion. In a nutshell, we interpret the layers as
follows: based on connectivity between systems (technical interoperability:
we can exchange something), we use syntax to structure the words and - in
case of technical systems - terms and/or expressions (syntactical
interoperability). Semantics give word sense - for systems in form of a
thesaurus or dictionary or data model. Pragmatics gives the intention and
the context in which the expression is used. We add dynamics (does the
system know how sending and receiving system will change based on the
information sent/received) and conceptual interoperability (models are
purposeful abstractions of reality, so in order to align them, we have to
capture the assumptions).
Regarding this discussion: syntax=structure, sematics=(word) meaning,
pragmatics=context
Andreas Tolk, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Old Dominion University    (01)