Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:19:20 -0500
Gotta start reading my mail queue LIFO style. :-)  Pat, as usual, is
right on the money here, though his attribution of ramified type
theory to Ramsey is not quite correct.  RTT is the baroque type
theory of Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica.
Ramification was introduced to deal with the semantic paradoxes.
Russell's initial "simple" type theory dealt only with the set
theoretic paradoxes like the one he himself discovered as well as
others having to do with cardinal and ordinal numbers like the so-
called Cantor paradox (not actually discovered by Cantor) and the
Burali-Forti paradox (sometimes also falsely attributed to Cantor).
Ramsey showed that one is unable to prove the least upper bound
principle for real analysis in RTT without the axiom of reducibility,
whose effect (its unintuitive character aside) is to make RTT
logically equivalent to simple type theory.    (01)

-chris    (02)

ps: For a truly beautiful account of ramified type theory, see Alonzo
Church, "A Comparison of Russell's resolution of the semantical
antinomies with that of Tarski," _Journal of Symbolic Logic_ 41
(1976) pp. 747-760, reprinted in R. M. Martin, _Recent Essays on
Truth and the Liar Paradox_, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1984, pp.
289-306.    (03)

On Jul 31, 2007, at 4:54 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (04)