Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:52:35 -0400
Actually, it is also "database technology", which is purely structural,
though the 3-schema design paradigm starts from a conceptual schema
(the most semantics you ever have), refines to a logical schema,
further refines to a physical schema -- and then throws away the first
2 models or parks them as documents in someone's filing cabinet,
creates a data dictionary in which English statements tell interested
parties what the physical schema and data elements really mean. And of
course this approach is the same approach use by XML fans everywhere.
Semantics remains implicit, and so you are free to interpret however
you want.     (01)

Thanks,
Leo    (02)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and
Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (03)