Re: [ontolog-forum] Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, Oh My !!!

To: Ontolog <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:36:19 -0400
o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o    (01)

AT = Andreas Tolk    (02)

Re: Syntax, Semantics, and Sometimes Pragmatics
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-08/msg00025.html
et seq.    (03)

AT: This is a great discussion and right into the heart of a problem
    we currently fight with while defining a management language to be
    used to share information within and about a system.  To cope with
    this, we used the Levels of Conceptual Interoperability Model
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levels_of_conceptual_interoperability ),
    which tries to add to this discussion.  In a nutshell, we interpret the
    layers as follows:  based on connectivity between systems (technical
    interoperability:  we can exchange something), we use syntax to structure
    the words and -- in case of technical systems -- terms and/or expressions
    (syntactical interoperability).  Semantics give word sense -- for systems
    in form of a thesaurus or dictionary or data model.  Pragmatics gives the
    intention and the context in which the expression is used. We add dynamics
    (does the system know how sending and receiving system will change based
    on the information sent/received) and conceptual interoperability (models
    are purposeful abstractions of reality, so in order to align them, we have
    to capture the assumptions).    (04)

AT: Regarding this discussion:
    syntax = structure,
    semantics = (word) meaning,
    pragmatics = context    (05)

Andreas, et al.    (06)

The picture of the situation that Leo outlined is one that derives
in large measure from the work that Charles Morris did in trying to
understand Charles Sanders Peirce's "semeiotic", or theory of signs.    (07)

Although it can provide us with a good first approach, one that happened
to form my own first introduction to the subject, there are many devils in
the details that have to be exorcised in the long haul.  I will try to give
some indication of these as the discussion continues.  I already gave some
links to various articles on semiotics and sign relations that I hope will
save us all some labor in this effort.    (08)

Jon Awbrey    (09)

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
¢iare: http://www.centiare.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-User_talk:Jon_Awbrey