Re: [ontolog-forum] Car attitudes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jay Halcomb" <jhalcomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:24:40 -0700
Hello. Kathy, let me try to understand by providing my own account of
concerns of this thread. The way you've been using the term 'attitude' in
these examples (Voyager, e.g.) suggests to me that you're talking about
something like 'dispositions (of a item or type of item) to behave in
various ways'. The general analysis of dispositions is always controversial
since their supposed grounds may differ so very widely, depending on the
item.  Even the very existence of dispositions is controverial to some
philosophers and others. Only some omniscient being could know their
complete analyses in every case - if ominscience makes sense.    (01)

One can nominalize every kind of assertion in various ways and also remove
the nominalizations when they occur. A central question for analysis, when
we do so,  is: what is the relationship in our semantics, between the
nominalized assertions and the truth conditions we attach to our more
'directly referring' assertions about things. E.g., "The Voyager's tendency
to waggle its wipers was caused by ....(a loose electrical connection)",
which is a certain kind of predication,  vs. "The Voyager would waggle its
wipers  because ...(it had a loose electrical connection, etc.)", which
latter is a
different style of predication (roughly, these are predications over
different sorts of
ostensibly referring terms)..    (02)

We analyze dispositions in terms of rules and laws in order to provide, say,
predictions and explanations. E.g., "If a car has a loose electrical
connection and it hits a bump, then its wipers will (may) ....", to link
these statements to observations like: " The Voyager has a loose electrical
connection. The Voyager hit a bump. Its wipers waggled."    (03)

Are there really 'things' like a Voyager's disposition to waggle its wipers,
just as there really are Voyagers? Or is such 'thing' language only a verbal
trick of language - a way of speaking? That sounds like a philosophical
question. But in either event one is still going to want some sort of
analysis which connects up the relata of our assertions concerning the
entities involved in the various kinds of assertions. Is there a systematic
way, uniformly specifiable and always satisfactory, always to do this kind
of linking? I don't know.    (04)

Cheers,
Jay    (05)

Jay Halcomb