Re: [ontolog-forum] Two

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:47:08 -0400
Pat,    (01)

In responding (personally) to my previous post of
>>We then proceeded to a long discussion on
>>continuant and occurrents and then into
>metaphysics.
>>So what about the initial question?    (02)

You said:    (03)

>Sorry.
Barry suggested, in response to Waclaw,
that a candidate two such ontologies (both
needed, but incompatible) would be two based on
incompatible views of time and change, referred
to by the continuant/occurrent language. (He did
this by referring to a paper awaiting
publication.) I reacted to this by challenging
the utility of the contrast, and offering to
synthesize any two such actual ontologies into a
single one. The thread then diverted into an old
debate about the sources of this claimed
distinction, whether it is necessary, etc.. These
are old debates. My quip about philosophers was
intended to put an end to that particular
argument. My offer to eliminate continuants (or
to unify two supposed inconsistent ontologies
based on the continuant/occurrent distinction
>into a single consistent ontology) still stands.    (04)

>I have not seen any other proposed examples to answer Waclaw's question.    (05)

This is a useful summary on that part of the thread and looking at your
response to Peter (below) that     (06)

<Pat> I entirely agree that semantic
consistency across large and varied datasets is valuable, perhaps
essential. Someone has to provide a means to maintain this
consistency, probably, in the current state of the art, by designing
and publishing a common ontological framework and teaching people how
to use it. My point was directed at the person to whom falls this
<Pat>responsibility, of designing and maintaining the central ontology.    (07)

The constuctive questions that we might be discussing then include
what is the best way to provide semantic consistency across large and
varied datasets; and what means are used to maintain this
consistency, probably, in the current state of the art, by designing
and publishing a common ontological framework?    (08)

Now if smart, analytic philosophers were to apply themselves to these
requirements
in a focused way we might all prosper.     (09)

Gary Berg-Cross    (010)

Executive Secretariat    (011)

Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)    (012)

http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop    (013)