Re: [ontolog-forum] Learning from philosophy (and mark Twain)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:37:09 -0400
John,    (01)

>Although I have a high regard for some philosophy, I certainly
>do not genuflect to most of 20th century analytic philosophy,
>about which I would apply Mark Twain's remark about economics:
>"A philosopher's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's."    (02)

>I did, however, learn a lot from those philosophers -- not their
>conclusions, but how to do the analysis from more appropriate
>assumptions.    (03)

And it isn't just philosophers dicussing economics, that Twain wrned us about.
He had this to day about a niaive application of scientific analysis applied to
one of his favorite topics - the Mississippi.    (04)

"In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has
shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a
trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is
not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a
million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upwards of one
million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of
Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven
hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile
and three-quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their
streets together, and be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor and a
mutual board of aldermen. There is something fascinating about science. One
gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of
fact."
- Life on the Mississippi     (05)

Now when I first read this as a young man, I felt that Twain didn't understand
science well or was not characterizing it fairly.  Years later I think I
understand better how it carries a useful interpretation.  AndI guess to relate
it to your point, we can learn from philosophers and science - "how to do the
analysis from more appropriate assumptions" and with proper empirical tests of
our theories.    (06)

Gary Berg-Cross
Executive Secretariat
Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop    (07)