Re: [ontolog-forum] Two

To: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:54:42 -0500
>Could someone sum up where this thread is going? Or is it just a
>philosophical stroll in the park (or Platonic cave, I'm not sure
>what...)? Frankly, apart from a partially illuminating Philosophy 101,
>has anything actually been said that advances the cause of ontological
>research and practice? If so, someone care to draw some conclusions?    (01)

I'm sorry that it should have given you this impression, as this is
exactly what I wanted to avoid. Here's my elevator summary: ontology
engineers should think of philosophers like dogs. They are
intelligent and useful if you feed them and treat them well, but you
have to keep them on a leash, train them thoroughly to obey your
instructions, and not let them form a pack, or they get out of
control and can become dangerous.    (02)

Pat    (03)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (04)