Re: [ontolog-forum] Two

To: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:21:41 -0500
>Pat,
>
>In responding (personally) to my previous post of
>>>We then proceeded to a long discussion on
>>>continuant and occurrents and then into
>>metaphysics.
>>>So what about the initial question?
>
>You said:
>
>>Sorry.
>Barry suggested, in response to Waclaw,
>that a candidate two such ontologies (both
>needed, but incompatible) would be two based on
>incompatible views of time and change, referred
>to by the continuant/occurrent language. (He did
>this by referring to a paper awaiting
>publication.) I reacted to this by challenging
>the utility of the contrast, and offering to
>synthesize any two such actual ontologies into a
>single one. The thread then diverted into an old
>debate about the sources of this claimed
>distinction, whether it is necessary, etc.. These
>are old debates. My quip about philosophers was
>intended to put an end to that particular
>argument. My offer to eliminate continuants (or
>to unify two supposed inconsistent ontologies
>based on the continuant/occurrent distinction
>>into a single consistent ontology) still stands.
>
>>I have not seen any other proposed examples to answer Waclaw's question.
>
>This is a useful summary on that part of the
>thread and looking at your response to Peter
>(below) that
>
><Pat> I entirely agree that semantic
>consistency across large and varied datasets is valuable, perhaps
>essential. Someone has to provide a means to maintain this
>consistency, probably, in the current state of the art, by designing
>and publishing a common ontological framework and teaching people how
>to use it. My point was directed at the person to whom falls this
><Pat>responsibility, of designing and maintaining the central ontology.
>

>The constuctive questions that we might be discussing then include
>what is the best way to provide semantic consistency across large and
>varied datasets; and what means are used to maintain this
>consistency, probably, in the current state of the art, by designing
>and publishing a common ontological framework?
>
>Now if smart, analytic philosophers were to
>apply themselves to these requirements
>in a focused way we might all prosper.    (01)

Well, to be fair to Barry Smith for a second, one
can reasonably say that he is a splendid example
of such a one doing exactly that. I just wish he
had done it slightly differently :-)    (02)

Pat    (03)

>Gary Berg-Cross
>
>Executive Secretariat
>
>Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
>
>http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)