Re: [ontolog-forum] Two

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:12:54 -0400
In my previous note, I cited the paper Hestenes wrote for his
Oersted lecture.  That 43-page paper would take some time to
read, but his slides present the highlights more quickly:    (01)

    http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/powerpoint/Oersted.ppt    (02)

The points he makes about unifying formalisms for physics could
also be made for unifying formalisms in logic and ontology.    (03)

Hestenes makes the point that physics got off on the wrong foot
by adopting vector and tensor calculus instead of the more
powerful methods of geometric algebras.  I believe that 20th
century logicians and philosophers also got off on the wrong
foot with the approaches that have become popular.    (04)

And just as Clifford's insights from the late 19th century have
proved to be significant for modern physics, I believe that there
are other approaches to logic and ontology from around the same
time that are significant for modern work in those fields.    (05)