Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 22:13:07 +0200
the first 'incoherence' may have a much more mundane solution:  perhaps
god has quite a different notion of cruelty and evil than us, and what
appears incredibly cruel and evil to us, may not so appear to god.    (01)

the other is not easy without a trick;  there is a solution (though
rather arguable) which requires the sort of imagination that allows you
to imagine that there can be things that you just can't imagine.
for the god to be omniscient, the world does not have to be
deterministic.  if the world is not deterministic (not completely
deterministic, at least), then free will is possible.  but that we can,
say, choose actions freely, this does not mean that god cannot know our
choices 'in advance' -- sure he/she/it can, by definition.  (i use the
quotes because god, as an omnipotent creature, surely has the powers to
move back an forth in time, and thus 'in advance' does not seem to be a
particularly sensible phrase in this context.)  now, you surely can't
imagine (not that i want to offend you, it follows from what you have
already said) that there is a nondeterministic choice which has not been
made yet, yet god already has the knowledge about the outcome;  this is
where from that you can't imagine how a proposition might be true you
infer its incoherence.    (02)

vQ    (03)

--
Wacek Kusnierczyk    (05)

Department of Information and Computer Science (IDI)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelandsv. 7-9
7027 Trondheim
Norway    (06)

tel.   0047 73591875