Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 16:26:39 -0500
On May 4, 2007, at 4:02 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Those are very reasonable alternatives:
>
>> perhaps god has quite a different notion of cruelty and evil
>> than us, and what appears incredibly cruel and evil to us,
>> may not so appear to god.    (01)

This is reasonable?    (02)

> Various humans have quite different views about what is cruel for
> other species.  Some consider it appropriate to eat any species
> other than humans, but some even consider it appropriate to eat
> humans.  Others consider it inhumane to eat vertebrates and higher
> invertebrates, but they're willing to eat clams because they aren't
> as mobile.  And most people are quite willing to stomp on a
> cockroach, but others will carefully sweep the ground before
> sitting down to avoid squashing any insects.    (03)

Yeah, yeah, but I'll bet we all agree that it's a bad idea, e.g., to
stick pins in babies just to here them scream.  If we go down the
relativist sink hole you seem to be defending we'll end up with no
grounds for, say, fighting terrorism beyond our own survival.  Not
that survival is a bad reason, but I'd sure like to think that we
also fight because we believe that killing innocents to justify
political or religious ends is an objectively bad thing, and not
because it just happens not to be our "view".    (04)

-c    (05)