Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:50:11 +0200
Ingvar Johansson wrote:    (01)

>> It appears to me that, according to that article, Popper's truthlikeness
>> is, as you say, an approximation to truth.  However, there is no word
>> about degrees of truth, and indeed, every theory is either true or
>> false.  (Simply true or simply false, if you prefer.)
>>

> In its very first paragraph, this article uses the expression 'degree of
> truthlikeness', and I thought that I had managed to make it clear in our
> discussion that my use of 'degrees of truth' means the same. With
> respect to the term 'truth', excuse me, you look to me like a
> hard-headed language purist.    (02)

Nice to be tagged.    (03)

This is not an issue of language purity, but of having the goal of
referential transparency.  It is not difficult to get stunned by
someone's objection to 'degrees of truth' if one uses the terms 'truth'
and 'truthlikeness' with different meanings, but the terms 'degrees of
truth' and 'degrees of truthlikeness' with identical meanings.  And your
treatment of the terms was not so clear (to my constrained mind) from
your first posts on this topic.    (04)

vQ    (05)