Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:31:02 -0700
>Pat Hayes wrote:

>>>It sounds as if my saying 'the earth is flat' were an objective
>>>statement, while 'i think that the earth is flat' were a subjective
>>>statement.  Is my saying 'she says the earth is flat' an objective or a
>>>subjective statement?
>>
>>Objective, in that it asserts something about what she said.
>
>good.  then if someone has some opinion, and i make a statement
>about that opinion, is it an objective or a subjective statement?
>'about that opinion' is to say the statement is 'her opinion is that
>the earth is flat', rather than 'according to her opinion the earth
>is flat' or 'she holds the opinion that the earth is flat' -- so
>that the opinion is the subject of the statement?    (01)

Yes.    (02)

I think I see where you are going here. The conclusion will be that
even my statements of my opinions are objective, because they are
objective statements of my opinion. Hence, all assertions of any
point of view are ultimately objective.    (03)

If I have this more or less right, then the response is that the
distinction between a factual assertion and a mere opinion is that
the latter is *about* an opinion or state of the speaker's beliefs,
whereas the former is *about* an actual state of affairs in the real
world.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>vQ    (06)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)