RE: [ontolog-forum] CCTONT work progress

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Robert.Miller@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:58:12 -0400

Peter,

Yes, I agree it is not consistent.

I seem to recall that EDIFACT uses a comma separator in its definitions of elements represented by a list of 'codes' (e.g., "Country, Coded").  I like that comma!  I believe they also define 'Country' (e.g., Spain).  Note that they do not define that as 'Country, Identifier'. )  Note also that 'Country, Coded' and 'Country' each identify the country.

I've no problem with making a distinction among collections of values represented in our standards by code list values.  In particular, I accept the 'instance' concept of an identifier.   Because identifiers represent instances, and instances tend to be volatile, many (perhaps most) identifiers are not (or can not practically be) coded.  But a few, like country and currency codes, are coded.

Clearly, some identifiers can and are represented by codes, and conversely, some code lists are identifiers.  Clearly also, not all code lists are identifiers.

Cheers,
         Bob Miller