RE: [ontolog-forum] CCTONT work progress

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Robert.Miller@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:46:33 -0400

Peter,

Ah, but we DO use codes to identify objects in the real world.  The realm of code sets spans adjectives, nouns, and I suppose verbs and adverbs.

Unit of measure codes are adjectives/properties (more correctly.  Incidentally,  'unit' is itself a 'measurement'  property [of 'quantity', for example, as 'quantity' itself is a measure, though I've often seen it treated as something other than a 'measure'.]

Among X12 code lists is one which 'identifies' a class of railroad equipment (e..g., "refrigerated car", "piggy-back trailer car", "boxcar", etc.  It does not of course 'identify' a specific piece of equipment.  That is, it identifies a property of the equipment, not the actual equipment.  In my book, it is a code, not an identifier.

In each of the above examples, I believe that the 'semantic' influence of the 'code' is rather localized.  But some codes have broad semantic influence.  For example, a code list that identifies the role a party plays (e.g., 'buyer', 'seller', etc.) may apply to an entire section (loop iteration) of a document, and in so doing, may establish rules for data presence, value range, etc.  In one respect, these codes are simply properties, not unlike 'inches' is a measurement property.

And to keep the mind spinning, those measurement 'properties' like 'cubic feet' get tangled with other measurement qualifiers like 'weight', 'volume', 'torque', etc.

And get even more tangled when one observes that, in the real world of business,  'natural gas' 'volume' might be measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units)!  In case that last one has you confused, gas wells produce known BTU/1000CuFt  depending upon the well, whereas the client is ordering BTU.  But in the pipeline, well, BTU just isn't all that interesting, but cubic feet is!  So BTU is convertible into cubic feet, and vixe versa, just as inches is convertible into feet and vice versa.  We haven't much mind spin with the latter conversion, but do with BTU/MCuFt.

Cheers,
         Bob Miller