Re: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:47:52 -0500

One minor quibble, Leo...    (01)

> What "larger ontology-based systems"?  Which ones do you have in
> mind?  What precisely do these systems do?  I'm getting the feeling
> that you're talking about something very comprehensive like Cyc...
>
> LEO: No, what he is talking about is a semantic level that relational
> databases don't currently have.     (02)

You subtly switched from talking about the E-R model to talking about
relational databases.  I believe, for example, that Oracle's PL-SQL is
computationally complete, making it strictly as powerful as FOL.  Thus,
the relational *database* could be as powerful a *system* as one based
explicitly on logic, while E-R cannot be as powerul a *logic* as even
RDFS.  Of course, that's not a practical comparison, but we should be
careful in our wording (goes for me too ... in spades).    (03)

        .bill
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (04)