Re: [uos-convene] KBR vs SQL

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:23:40 -0500
Hey Pat.    (01)

You make a good point.  See below.    (02)

Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:

> Isn't that what Ontology Works's system does - add to the capabilities
> of database systems alone?  How do you characterize the advantage that
> your programs have over traditional databases?  What does your
> advertising say?    (03)

This is the problem having the job that I have.  I have an industrial
hat and an academic hat.  What we say (although I didn't write it) below
is literally true in an industrial sense.  Although as an academic I
suppose I realize how far we are from the limit case.  Combining the two
makes me cautious.    (04)

At the current stage of maturity (and I include our stuff in this) the
applications for which ontology has really been exercised in database
environments represent an improvement over traditional database
technology in *some* areas.  The two big wins in my mind are the ability
to manage more complexity in the models with less human effort, and the
ability to implement that complex logic with less effort.  It's all
about the economics of building complex databases.  But I wouldn't want
to use say, our system, to run a OLTP application.  Not yet.  We're not
there at this stage.    (05)

I guess all I'm calling for is restraint.  The more grounded our claims,
both theoretical and empirical, the greater the chance that applications
  of ontology to information systems will get a chance to mature before
a wave of conspicuous failures (wrt expectations) undermine commercial
support.    (06)

> Or to put it another way - is this "hype"?? (emphasis added)
>
> OWI database products – The Knowledge Server™ (KS™ ) and the
> High-Performance Knowledge Server™ (HPKS™ ) – represent the most
> advanced and mature products of their kind. The KS™ is the first product
> to execute ontologies in a transactional database environment; the HPKS™
> scales that technology to manage terabytes of information. The HPKS™
> leverages Objectivity/DB™ – an advanced database that eliminates costly
> JOIN tables – to deliver for the first time scalable information storage
> and query performance to a high-fidelity information model environment.
> The HPKS™ solves the most demanding analytic information management
> problems by design, _supporting applications that until now were
> impossible to realize with traditional relational database systems_.
> These servers provide the essential capabilities to make possible
> complex applications, among these capabilities is fact-level security
> and support for “what if” analysis.
>
> Guess where that came from.  (I think those statements may be correct)
>
> Pat
>

> Patrick Cassidy
> MITRE Corporation
> 260 Industrial Way